Monday, November 7, 2011

Taking the First Step


“The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” – Lao-tzu 
This weekend I, along with 20,000 other runners, embarked on the inaugural Savannah Rock N’ Roll Marathon and Half Marathon in Savannah, Georgia.   What an incredible event!  The weather was crisp and cool, the music was loud, and the energy contagious.  While running, I thought to myself, “What makes 20,000 runners think that this race is an attainable and worthwhile goal?”  As I winded through the streets of Savannah, I encountered a few runners who gave me a little insight into this question.  I met a man who was a cancer survivor and was running to raise awareness for finding a cure.  I met a Marine running with his full pack while carrying the Marine Corps and the American flags wearing a sign “In Memory of my Dad, In Honor of my Mother.”  I met a lady who had lost 160 pounds and was celebrating her success by running in this race.  Everyone running had a reason.  What was mine?  I decided that deep down I wanted to answer the question, “As a wife and mother of a one year old and a two year old, do I still have what it takes to finish a half marathon?”  The good news is I found out that being a wife and a mother makes these kinds of challenges even easier than they used to be.  I finished 13.1 miles in 2:22:37 - my personal best.   So, we all have our reasons to take the first step.  Maybe next year I will test my endurance at the marathon?  See you at the start line in 2012.    

No comments:

Post a Comment